Twenty-three students have begun their studies, with twenty of them being funded through a scholarship awarded to them by Brunel University London. The students, twenty of which will receive funding for tuition fees and living costs, will complete their MSc in Structural Integrity at the newly established National Structural Integrity Research Centre (NSIRC®
The scholarships, which are offered through Brunel University London via the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE)
, will enable students to make use of the multimillion-pound development and state-of-the-art equipment, including 3D laser vibrometer and microfocus x-rays.
Warren Bath, one of the 20 students who will benefit from a scholarship, will begin the MSc following over two years in industry, and a BEng in Motorsport Engineering. He said:
'What I liked about the MSc was the opportunity to work in both an academic and industry environment, something that will help me enormously once I start to look for career opportunities when the course has finished.
TWI will also offer a scholarship to six successful students over the next three years which cover tuition fees.
Topics that will be researched by the students include:
- Application of linear and nonlinear ultrasonic inspection methods for the detection of defects in Friction Stir Welding and Linear Friction Welds
- Life time prediction of organic coatings for corrosion protection for steel structures
- Study of H2 embrittlement behaviour of high strength alloys
- Welding and testing of butt-fusion welds in Polyethylene pipes
- Microstructural characterization and corrosion behaviour of stationary shoulder friction stir welded 7050-T7451 aluminium alloy
For its first year, the MSc will take place at both Brunel University London and NSIRC, where TWI will contribute towards 50% of the course. As of 2015, the MSc will be completed entirely at the NSIRC facility in Cambridge.
The MSc in Structural Integrity industry-led degree combines academic excellence with the extensive up-to-date industrial experience of TWI’s experts across the many and varied disciplines that are essential to structural integrity across the oil and gas, power generation, petrochemical, nuclear and transportation sectors. Click here
to find out more about the MSc in Structural Integrity.